• THE OFFICIAL STUDENT NEWS SITE OF WASHINGTON PARK HIGH SCHOOL

The Beacon

THE OFFICIAL STUDENT NEWS SITE OF WASHINGTON PARK HIGH SCHOOL

The Beacon

The Beacon

Polls

What is your favorite fall flavor?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Top 5 Movie Recommendations for October
Scary Movies to Watch

Scary Movies to Watch

December 13, 2022

Percy Jackson movie disappoints many fans

March 9, 2022

Spring Break 2021: Movies to Stream

Spring Break 2021: Movies to Stream

March 29, 2021

View All

Study Tips

Study+Tips

As second semester unfurls, we as students have the opportunity to have a fresh start. Whether you didn’t do as well as you hoped during first semester or you’re just trying to keep the grades you had in first semester, it’s always a good thing to try and continuously improve. Having said that, here are some strategies you can implement to help improve your grades.

Tip #1: Do your homework right away. 

I know it may sound silly and obvious, but seriously, get your assignments done as soon as possible. The further you fall behind, the less likely you are to get caught up. And doing your work is the simplest way to stay ahead of the game.

Tip #2: Break tasks into smaller chunks.

Instead of trying to tackle a large assignment all at once, break it down into smaller, more manageable tasks. This makes the workload seem less overwhelming and helps you stay focused and productive.

Tip #3: Utilize active studying techniques.

Instead of passively reading over your notes, engage with the material actively. This can include techniques like summarizing information in your own words, teaching the material to someone else, or using flashcards for quick review.

Tip #4: Find a study group.

Working with friends can provide motivation, support, and different perspectives on the material. Create a study group where you can discuss topics, quiz each other, and hold each other accountable for staying on track.

Tip #5: Take regular breaks.

It’s important to give your brain time to rest and recharge. Schedule short breaks during study sessions to prevent burnout and maintain focus. Many people use the Pomodoro technique which is when you work for 25 minutes, then take a 5 minute break, after 2 hours of this cycle, take a 15 minute break. Use that time to stretch, grab a snack, or take a quick walk.

Tip #6: Stay organized.

Keep track of assignments, deadlines, and study materials to avoid last-minute scrambles and missed opportunities. Use planners, calendars, or apps to stay organized and prioritize tasks effectively.

No matter how you study, it’s important to keep up with your grades and try to do your best. Regardless of whether you’re a freshman trying to find your footing in high school or a senior going off to college, you can implement these tips to become the best you can be.