• THE OFFICIAL STUDENT NEWS SITE OF WASHINGTON PARK HIGH SCHOOL

The Beacon

THE OFFICIAL STUDENT NEWS SITE OF WASHINGTON PARK HIGH SCHOOL

The Beacon

The Beacon

Polls

What type of Halloween costume do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Top 5 Movie Recommendations for October
Scary Movies to Watch

Scary Movies to Watch

December 13, 2022

Percy Jackson movie disappoints many fans

March 9, 2022

Spring Break 2021: Movies to Stream

Spring Break 2021: Movies to Stream

March 29, 2021

View All

Advice from Seniors

Getty Images

Many students wake up on the first day of school exhausted after sleeping in all summer; just waiting for the upcoming school year to end, not realizing what they should expect. In fact, most don’t realize what they should do until it’s too late. Therefore, in order to prepare everyone for a successful school year, three of Park’s fellow seniors have agreed to share their advice to underclassmen anonymously.

When asked the question: “What is something you wish you knew before going into high school?” All of Parks seniors emphasized the importance of getting involved. “High school goes very fast. So make sure you take every opportunity that you’re given and make connections with your teachers, friends, staff members, etc…” Getting involved and making connections is definitely a must in high school and is something that every student should look forward to. If you don’t know how, you’re not alone.

Another student responded to this question saying that she wishes she “knew how to get more involved in clubs and sports.” Two out of three interviewees did not get involved until later in their high school career and regrettably so. Therefore, if you’re a freshman or sophomore don’t be afraid to get yourself out there. Park offers a variety of sports including basketball, boys swim and dive, and wrestling for this winter season. However, if you’re not a fan of sports, there are clubs including the book club, ETC, Black Student Union (BSU), Latino Student Union (LSU), etc.

Speaking of regrets, these seniors shared their own and showed, again, the importance of making connections. One student responded by saying “I wish I got out of my comfort zone and actually tried to make friends and join clubs.” Connections are so incredibly important in high
school and it is likely that most students will not realize this until their junior or senior years. Of course, this is easier said than done.

Just as one student said, “Definitely put yourself out there. I’m sure everyone is as scared as you are and it won’t hurt to try to talk to people.” Remember, you are not alone if you struggle when talking to others, no matter if it’s a student or staff member.

Overall, seniors recommend getting out of your comfort zone to get involved with others. One final sentiment was shared by a Park senior: “High school will get better, stay involved and be united with your class. You’ll all do great!”