• THE OFFICIAL STUDENT NEWS SITE OF WASHINGTON PARK HIGH SCHOOL

The Beacon

THE OFFICIAL STUDENT NEWS SITE OF WASHINGTON PARK HIGH SCHOOL

The Beacon

The Beacon

Polls

What is your favorite fall flavor?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Top 5 Movie Recommendations for October
Scary Movies to Watch

Scary Movies to Watch

December 13, 2022

Percy Jackson movie disappoints many fans

March 9, 2022

Spring Break 2021: Movies to Stream

Spring Break 2021: Movies to Stream

March 29, 2021

View All

My Last Tennis Match Ever

This year, I was the only senior on my tennis team, and I knew that it was inevitable that my tennis career would come to an end. As our season started to die down, the end became real. My doubles partner Natalie and I were wrapping up our last match; our season was officially ending. All the hard work of perfecting my skills will soon be unnecessary. I started to wonder when I will ever actually play tennis again, probably never or at least never on the same level. 

As we were walking away from the court, I was talking with Natalie about our season and how much I enjoyed playing with her, but then I saw Coach McLean. Seeing Coach McLean made it feel real because every other year I would say that I’d get them next year. I realized then that there would be no next year. I will never play for Park High School again. I have been playing sports since I was five, and it always has been a way for me to stay busy, but now it’s over. I know that there are ways I could play in college, but it still will not be the same. I have to remember to live in the moment and really take in every opportunity when I have it because you never know when it will be the last. 

I am proud to have played for Park High School since freshman year, whether that be on the tennis or volleyball team; I always showed how proud I was to be a Park Panther. I enjoyed meeting new people each year after seniors would leave and making new friends. I enjoyed growing with the sport and learning how to do new moves with tennis. Playing tennis is something that I will never forget about my high school experience and is probably one of the better memories. No matter where I go or end up in life, I will always remember what my coaches and teammates told me on and off the court. Coach McLean always gave me tips on ways I could improve during matches, but she also told me how proud she was of me during my matches. My teammates were always there to encourage me when a match got difficult, just like I was there for them when they needed my encouragement. I will always remember to be a proud Park Panther, no matter where I end up in life.