• THE OFFICIAL STUDENT NEWS SITE OF WASHINGTON PARK HIGH SCHOOL

The Beacon

THE OFFICIAL STUDENT NEWS SITE OF WASHINGTON PARK HIGH SCHOOL

The Beacon

The Beacon

Polls

What is your favorite fall flavor?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Top 5 Movie Recommendations for October
Scary Movies to Watch

Scary Movies to Watch

December 13, 2022

Percy Jackson movie disappoints many fans

March 9, 2022

Spring Break 2021: Movies to Stream

Spring Break 2021: Movies to Stream

March 29, 2021

View All

The Worst Halloween Candies

Halloween is a beautiful time for corn mazes with scares, carving pumpkins, and dressing up as whatever your heart desires. Most of all, it’s a time for people of all ages to go house to house as they trick-or-treat for delicious sweets. Halloween wouldn’t be what it is without candy; but not all are so delicious.

1. Candy Corn: A Controversial Classic

Candy Corn has been around for more than 100 years, and every Halloween people debate whether they are team Candy Corn or not. The biggest reason most people are not a fan is because of the overwhelming sweetness it gives. While most candies are meant to be sweet, candy corn is the equivalent of a spoonful of raw sugar. The next reason is the texture; it’s incredibly chewy and waxy. No one wants to eat sugar wax after a long night of trick-or-treating. 

2. Twizzlers Black Licorice Twist: Be Leery

Have you ever heard of glycyrrhizin? It’s a real word, and is a chemical extract from the liquorice plant that is 30-50 times sweeter than sugar. When eaten in large amounts, black licorice can lower the body’s potassium levels by a significant amount which can cause weak muscles, cramps, twitches, and even an abnormal heart rhythm. A combination of heaps of sweetness and potential health concerns easily makes black licorice low on the list of Halloween favorites. 

3. Sugar Daddies: Scary Dentistry

Sugar Daddies, on the other hand, can be hazardous for a different reason. Hard candies in general should be avoided for the health of your teeth for many reasons. Biting and chewing them can easily cause breaks and cracks which can be tough to deal with. The outer layer of the candy is coated in a sticky layer of sugar, and when it is bitten into, said sticky layer can easily get stuck in the teeth. Sugar coated teeth means rapid tooth decay.

No matter how the day and night on October 31 is spent, it’s clear that these three candies have a negative reputation due to their taste, texture, and potential risks. As the holiday season is approaching and celebrants indulge in treats for their sweet teeth, it’s safe to say that these three candies might just be better off left in the cauldron of options this Halloween.