Netflix Shows to Get You Through Isolation

Whitney Robbins, Writer

Let’s face it, we’ve watched way more shows than we’d like to admit since the pandemic began, but it is totally understandable, considering we’re stuck at home all day. This doesn’t mean we are willing to watch just anything. We want to watch shows we can binge in a single day and maybe cry a little when it ends. Three Netflix-worthy shows to watch are Julie and the Phantoms, The Umbrella Academy, and Anne with an “E”.

Julie and the Phantoms

Fans of High School Musical and Descendants will be happy to know Julie and the Phantoms is produced by Kenny Ortega. After unexpectedly losing her mom a year ago, Julie also loses her love for music. It isn’t until three teenage ghosts from the 1990s band Sunset Curve show up that she begins to sing again. Not only that, but they start a band together, which seems crazy considering they’re ghosts and a living person, but they make it work. Fans of music, comedy, and/or even romance, Julie and the Phantoms will not disappoint you.

The Umbrella Academy 

This show is based on the comic series of the same name by Gerard Way. On October 1st, 1989, 43 babies were born to women who were not pregnant beforehand. Seven of those babies were adopted by Sir Reginald Hargreeves, and trained to become superheroes at a school Hargreeves created called the Umbrella Academy. Fast forward thirty years later, and the six surviving members come together to grieve their father’s death…and save the world from an apocalypse. Fans of DC, Marvel, or anything involving superheroes will love The Umbrella Academy.

Anne with an “E”

The show is based on the novel series Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud (L.M) Montgomery. Anne Shirley is accidentally sent to stay with a sibling duo, Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert, in Green Gables. The show follows Anne as she struggles to get past her past, fit in at her new school, and overall get used to her new life. If you are looking for a coming of age or historical drama kind of series, then Anne with an “E” is the show for you.

If you are self-isolating, quarantining, or avoiding the cold weather then try one of these Netflix shows.