Book Review: The Chandler Legacies By Abdi Nazemian

Whitney Robbins, Editor

It’s 1999 at Chandler Academy and an unlikely group of students are accepted into the Circle, an exclusive writing club. Beth Kramer is a townie with a scholarship who lives with anxiety and trichotillomania. Sarah Brunson is an overachiever who’s been through traumatic events. Amanda “Spence” Spencer is an Indian American with a passion for acting but a family name that saved her from the same fate as Sarah. Ramin Golafsher was forced to move from Iran to escape the homophobia after being outed. Frederico “Freddy” Bello isn’t sure what he wants for the future. Through their writing and experiences together, they finally confront their secrets and insecurities, as well as Chandler’s legacy of cruelty.

Abdi Nazemian’s book The Chandler Legacies is overall a story about the cruelty outsiders face, but it’s also about how that cruelty can bring people together and take a stand against it. As a writer of color and part of the LGBTQ+ community, Nazemian’s book spoke to me from the very beginning: “Seeing yourself in the pages of a book is an empowering feeling.” This is said by Professor Douglas to her students. Not only is this true to all readers, but it’s true to the author himself. Having gone to a boarding school and dealt with his own secrets, Nazemian knows what it’s like to experience struggles due to his race and sexuality. This is extremely important, as it allows the readers to better trust the author as well as create a deeper connection.

Whether you want to go find yourself in the pages of a book, and gain an understanding of the struggles those around you face, I recommend Nazemian’s The Chandler Legacies