Same Place, New Face

Traneice Byrd and Alex Ruchoeft

Although we were all sad to see our previous French teacher leave, we are more than happy to welcome our new French teacher, Ivy Mclean, to Washington Park High School. Madame Mclean teaches levels 1-5 French here at Park and advises French Club. Madame Mclean explained that French Club is a student run club and anyone, whether they are taking French or not, are invited to attend any of the meetings. She has been teaching for ten years and had been an administrator for five.

When attending college, she thought of becoming a doctor, a lawyer, or a businessman, but came to the realization that those professions were not for her. She has a degree in French education, a bachelors in science, and a masters in educational administration.  When asked how she feels about her job she replied, “ I LOVE teaching French, it’s my passion.” She expressed that she always figured she would become a teacher and was inspired by her desire to learn. She says that the best part of her job is learning from her students, she also loves watching her students progress,“ I love seeing the lightbulb go off in my students heads when they understand a concept.”

Outside of school Madame Mclean enjoys crocheting and playing several different musical instruments. She plays five different instruments: the violin, viola, cello, trombone, and the piano. She has also studied abroad, spending a year in Belgium, a week in Germany, a semester in Montreal, and a summer in Cuernavaca, Mexico.

Madame Mclean is looking forward to building the French program this year and bringing new activities to the table. She is also very excited to work with her students and to not only teach them, but to also learn from them.

Same Place, New Face