Alarming New Addition to Park

Eric Rannow, Co-Editor

When the 2022-2023 school year started, the students of Park High School were introduced to newly added alarms to certain doors. If opened during the school day, the alarms go off and alert everyone in the building. They were added for safety reasons, mainly to prevent intruders from entering the building.

The alarmed doors include the fieldhouse doors, theater foyer doors, and the southwest doors going into the parking lot.

When asked if the alarms have made any difference, Academy of Health and Public Service Principal Mrs. Barncard stated that “students are less likely to open the alarmed doors to let in their friends or other students. Also, we don’t have students sneaking out one of those doors as often as we used to. There were times in past years that we would find a stick or other object in a door that a student left to prop it open. We don’t have that this year.”

She also stated that there are different procedures taken when the alarms go off. Hall monitors will first check the doors to see if there is anyone around. If no cause is found, staff will look at the security camera footage to see what caused the alarms.

Hopefully the new safety measure will continue to keep the students of Park High School safe.