Track & Field Update

Rashaad Henderson, Sports Writer

Park High School’s track team had a stellar day at the WIAA D1 Regional Meet. Many of the athletes competed in their last meet of their season and high school career, while a number of athletes qualified for the sectional meet in style.

The 4x400m relay of Isaiah Martin, Cameron Marshall, Gavin Hennessy, and Rashaad Henderson just qualified, placing 4th, right behind Waterford. Henderson also finished second in the open 100m (11.18) and the open 200m (22.57). Hennessy also qualified for sectionals in an individual event, placing third in the 800m (2:02:21).

On the girls side of things, Mya James won the  400m dash, securing her spot at the sectional meet (1:01:96). Mariah Davis, who does not primarily run the open 100m, placed third (13.23). Jade Griffin, who is a prospect to make it to state in the high jump, won with a jump of 5’1, and for the first time in the triple jump placed fourth, by jumping 33-00.50.

This sectional meet is is going to be exciting as the Panther’s try to qualify for the State Meet in La Crosse. They will face Oak Creek, Tremper, Bradford, and Franklin, who all have strong squads. Oak Creek, who placed in the top 3 as a team at the 2018 State Meet will be on Park’s radar. On the open side of things, Park’s Henderson is hoping to place in the 200m, his strongest event. He has stated, “Even though the 100m isn’t my main event, I feel like I could still place in it. If I don’t place, my time will probably be a PR, due to the competition being all sub 11.5 runners. Same with the 200m. Everyone is running sub 23, and they’re all seniors. If I don’t make it, I’m going to be disappointed in myself but that’s just motivation to go after it in the off season.”

As the season winds down for the Panther’s, they are hoping to break through to state and impress the crowd. Come cheer them on at the Sectional Track Meet, 5 p.m. at Greenfield High School.