April Fools’ Day

Mackenzie Spanske, Reporter

April Fools’ Day started with the Gregorian Calendar when Pope Gregory XIII ordered the Julian Calendar to be replaced. In Roman times, April first was celebrated as New Year’s Day. When the new Gregorian Calendar came into place, it ordered New Year’s Day to be celebrated on January first. Many people accepted the change and others rejected it or didn’t care to learn about it. Some people began making fun of traditionalists and trying to trick them into believing false things, and this is one way it is believed that April Fools’ Day began. However, this explanation hasn’t been confirmed by history and is only based on presumption.

A professor named Joseph Boskin assumed that April Fools originated during the reign of Constantine. It is said that a group of jesters told the Roman emperor that they could do a better job of running the country. Constantine allowed a jester named Kugel to be king for a day. This became an annual holiday because jesters were seen as wise people. This is also an April Fools’ Day joke.

April Fools’ day is usually celebrated by playing pranks, trying to get people to believe untrue things and having people look for objects that don’t exist, which is also called a “fool’s errand.” Even some websites try to play pranks on people. Google played a prank a few years ago telling users that they had a new smelling feature. Lots of people put their noses to their screens and attempted to smell.

The holiday is a fun day to make people laugh, enjoy themselves, and maybe pull a prank.

• Events

Fall Pep Rally Photos

• April Fools’ Day

Features

Once a Panther, Always a Panther

• April Fools’ Day

Features

March 14th Protest: Unrest in Our Halls

• April Fools’ Day

News

Easter Traditions Around the World

• April Fools’ Day

Features

Parkland, Florida Shooting

• Advice

Ask C.S. Wood: Advice for Teens Vol. 1

• April Fools’ Day

News

Cons of Cell Phones

• April Fools’ Day

News

Every Senior Deserves Bragging Rights!

• April Fools’ Day

News

California Governor Signs New Animal Selling Law

• April Fools’ Day

Features

Choosing a College

April Fools’ Day