Park Wrestling Heading in the Right Direction

Back to Article
Back to Article

Austin Siegal, Sports Writer

The Park wrestlers finished in the best position in the conference since 2001. In the 2001 season, the park wrestling team won the southeast conference wrestling tournament by a landslide. Since that day, the park wrestling team had never finished close to that mark. On Saturday, Park finished in third place behind Oak Creek and top ranked Bradford.

They had 6 finalists in the tournament, which is 6 more than they had last season. The first finalist was 113 pounder Jojo Mendoza. Jojo rolled through his first two matches and picked up a big 8-4 decision of Dutton of Tremper. Jojo became the first individual conference champ in 5 seasons. The next finalist was 120 pounder Isiah Culp. Culp rolled through his first two matches as well and unfortunately suffered an 8-1 decision loss to his arch rival Cole Ramos of Bradford. The third finalist of the day was senior 152 pounder Austin Siegal. Siegal picked up a quick second period pin in his first bout and also picked up an 11-2 major decision win in his second. For the finals, Austin was out wrestled by his conference foe from Oak Creek #6 ranked Jesse Kovnesky. The fourth finalist was sophomore Jerrel Campbell. Jerrel Campbell was seeded #2 in the tournament and received a bye in the first round. In his semifinal match, he scored an escape with 15 seconds left and won the match 2-1. In the final, he was pinned in the second period by state ranked wrestler Murphy Mccutcheon. At 195, Michael Nielsen earned his way to the final by picking up two easy pins. In the final, he was beaten in a very tight match 4-2 by Kyle Bowens of Bradford. Last but not least, Heavyweight wrestler Tre Williams won his bracket miraculously without wrestling a match. He received a first round bye and 2 forfeits en route to his championship.

The Panthers are expected to continue their success as they compete on February 17 at the WIAA Sectional Meet.

• Park Wrestling Heading in the Right Direction

Features

Track & Field Update

Features

Notre Dame’s Disaster

• Features

The Dangers of Tanning

Features

Boys Track Preview

• Features

Harmful Internet Challenges

Features

Going to School for Free Isn’t Cheap

Events

Dish Out A Great Valentine’s Day

Features

Smoking Out Our Roots

Features

Dunkin’ Donuts Dilemma

Features

Winter Weather Warning