Is Park High School Haunted?

Bryanna Prochnow and Alex Ruchoeft

In one way or another, almost everyone has heard the horror stories of Park High School being haunted, but has anyone ever actually backed up their claim? Nobody ever tells the stories of why they think Park is haunted. What even are those stories, are they lying? Well I’m here to give you some of the reasons behind these spooky happenings.

One of the biggest horror stories to ever hit the halls of Park is the tale of Miss Fortune. I’m sure you’ve all heard that name before, but do you know her story? Miss Fortune is the ghost of a former Park student. She was captain of the cheerleading team in her senior year. She had been dating the football captain since their freshman year. On the week of homecoming, he broke off their relationship and she was the most heartbroken she had ever been. Not only was her heart broken, but her Panther pride was broken as well because the football captain decided to get together with a cheerleader from our cross town rivals, Horlick. The girl was so upset that she threw herself off of the bell tower. The whole school was in a state of shock because of her death and the only thing they had to look forward to was the homecoming football game. Our team was exceptionally good that year and we were sure to beat Horlick. Unfortunately, everything that could have went wrong that night did. We lost the game and all of the students swore the spirits were working against them that night. This night earned the girl the name of “Miss Fortune”. Miss Fortune’s spirit comes back to haunt the halls of Park around homecoming to try and mess up the homecoming game for all of the years following her death.

Another claim, known best to those who frequent the theater, is that of the John’s Burn’s theater ghost. Many have claimed to feel an ominous air in “the basement” (the hollow space under the stage meant to be a bomb shelter, now used as storage.) Newcomers rarely feel comfortable enough to venture down there alone. There have been reports of spontaneous flickering lights and the feeling of not being alone. But the activity isn’t just limited to the basement. Park alumni Joe and Brian have reported a ghost mimicking voices, calling to members, luring them into the workshop and basement. Props have gone missing, normally blamed on irresponsible actors, but occasionally it just couldn’t be so.

The culture in the theater has come to try and oppose these supernatural forces. A small clay soldier, hidden in an undisclosed location in the basement, guards from the ghosts’ tom-foolery. A penguin named Edgar granted protection and luck on performance nights before he mysteriously disappeared. Casts have fallen back on a clay skull for good luck while the search for Edgar continues.

We continue to hear more and more stories about ghosts in Park, ranging from far fetched tales to eerily accurate encounters. Have you ever seen the real Miss Fortune in the bell tower? Have you experienced the chill and the distant call of a voice mimicking your friends? Want to share your experience?

Email your story to samantha.cohen@rusd.org for a chance to have your supernatural experience featured in the The Beacon.

In the meantime, keep your eyes open, you might catch someone standing in the bell tower…

• Is Park High School Haunted?

News

April Fools’ Day

• Is Park High School Haunted?

News

Easter Traditions Around the World

• Is Park High School Haunted?

Features

Parkland, Florida Shooting

• Advice

Ask C.S. Wood: Advice for Teens Vol. 1

• Is Park High School Haunted?

News

Cons of Cell Phones

• Is Park High School Haunted?

News

Every Senior Deserves Bragging Rights!

• Is Park High School Haunted?

News

California Governor Signs New Animal Selling Law

• Is Park High School Haunted?

Features

Choosing a College

• Is Park High School Haunted?

News

Black Friday

• Features

Applying for Scholarships

Is Park High School Haunted?